My Story

My God is full of wonder, and each day I am learning more about Him
and the amazing plans He has laid out for the adventure that is my life.

This is my story.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Hello Again

Hello again world! And all of you who have been desperately waiting for a terribly overdue update on my present adventure (slightly being facetious here if you hadn't noticed already). But it really has been quite a while since my last blog and quite a lot has been happening... hence the belated updated.

I have been working in the Center for Academic Service-Learning and Research, helping with special projects and getting ready for undergraduate training since July 5th. And now training is almost upon us! My real internship will be starting next week. My official title is in keeping with the length of the office's name: Graduate Assistant of Student Development and Project Operations... or something like that (I'm still trying to memorize that behemoth of a title!). Basically, I will be the supervisor/mentor of nine undergraduate student workers who will be facilitating Service-Learning components in fifty+ classes. I'll be in charge of making sure they're doing everything they're supposed to do and acting as the proverbial bridge between them and the permanent staff in the office. I'm really looking forward to them coming and this all really starting.

Especially since this weekend when I went home and randomly picked up one of my dad's text books for a personality profiling class he teaches. I ended up reading almost the entire book that day, taking the Meyers/Briggs test and other such tests and taking notes about what the findings mean. I've taken those tests plenty of times before and read the little paragraph descriptions about what the results say I'm like, but I had never really paid much attention to the validity of this research before. I usually made some joke about "Of course the description accurately describes me! It asked me to describe myself and now it's just reverberating what I already know about myself!" But now I know I was just scoffing out of my own ignorance. Reading that book opened my eyes to things about myself that I have struggled with my entire remembered life. Things I've always wondered about if I was just horribly messed up ended up being just apart of my personality type and it even gave me advice about how to deal with the common issues that are apart of who I am. It also affirmed and explained so many half-formed notions, hunches, and thoughts about me and how I react and respond to others. It was intensly fascinating!

I am an INfJ, which means that I am an Introvert/Intuitive/Feeling/Judging personality; an "Idealist Counselor." Basically, I couldn't have picked a better focus for my M.S. (College Counseling and Student Development), and apparently I am specifically crafted for this exact type of work! And also, the type of guy I've always been attracted to - turns out that's the type that my type is usually most attracted to and gloriously vice verse as well! Unfortunately, our two types apparently only make up about twelve percent of the general population, which does perhaps explain at least one of the reasons for my rather small experience in the world of dating and romantic relationships. Here I thought I was just being picky. Turns out, I'm only really attracted to about two percent of the human race! Figures.

Well, classes start September 6th. I really have no idea what to expect, but I think I'm excited. One of my best friends is getting married on the tenth, and I finally get to be an official brides-made! I also get to see friends I haven't seen in forever and get to stand upon some of my favorite spots in the world. I don't think I'll sleep the whole weekend, just so I don't miss any moment of it all.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful Mary! And I'm an INFJ too. :) It figures! Christine

    ReplyDelete